Thursday, November 10, 2016

Best friends - and some thoughts on them

Have you ever had a best friend? You know, that person that understands you, laughs with you, knows your secrets, and your dreams? If you haven't, then you are missing out on an amazing feeling. I have one of these friends. I've known her since I was born, because she's my cousin. I'm sure that sounds a little different; you usually don't become best friends with one of your relatives. But that doesn't really matter; the person you click with can be someone you've known since your birth (aka a relative,) or it could be someone that you just met three days ago. Also, they don't have to be exactly the same age to be your best friend, mine is a almost two years older than me.

I've discovered that I have a special connection with my cousin; but it didn't used to be as strong as it is now. When we were little, as we sat on the floor in our grandmother's house coloring in barbie coloring books, we were forming a bond, and building a friendship that would never be broken. When were in our teens, as we sat in my house drawing pictures together, we were strengthening that bond, building up our friendship higher and higher. 

In January of 2015, my cousin and her family moved into a house right down the street from me. Of course we were both thrilled. You have to understand what this meant to us, our families had never lived in the same country together, ever. We saw each other almost every day. This was the time where we built the strongest part of our relationship. We would spend hours just sitting and talking about life. We strengthened our bond so much, simply by being together. This moment in our lives is a very special time to me; I cherish it, and hold it tight in my heart. However, like all things in this world, it came to an end. Our friendship though, did not, and still has not, and never will come to an end.

In June 2016, after a year and a half of living beside my cousin, she moved back the the United States. It wasn't that hard for me at first, but this was because my family and I were going back to the United States for a few months at the end of June. So it didn't really sink in until we got back that November. I was sad of course, and the first few months were quite hard, but I had no idea how hard it was going to get. This spring, I really began to miss her, and there were times when I really wanted her by my side. During the rest of the spring and summer, I began to want her more and more. 

One night, we were texting, and we were having a very sentimental talk. I don't remember what we said, but I do remember that I started crying. I couldn't help myself, I missed her so much that it hurt. I felt the pain very strongly that night, and its been getting stronger ever since. My parents realized that I desperatly wanted to see her, and so they bought her a ticket to come to Turkey for two weeks in December. This December. In one month. I am SO excited, and I simply can not wait. As each day passes, my excitement grows.

Dear friends, I do hope that you have experienced the wonderful feeling of having this friend, or will some day. I believe that we all need someone to have that bond with. If you haven't found your best friend yet, don't worry, you will find them at some point in your life. Just keep an open mind, and probably when you least expect it, you will stumble upon them. If you do have a best friend, and you are far from them, just remember that you can still be best friends with them, even if they're half-way acrossed the world.

Friends are there to help on this dangerous and scary journey called life. They are there for us to lean on, and we are there for them. If you have a best friend, or even if you don't, you should always try to encourage each other. One of the ways that I especially like to do this is to write letters. Actually write them, not just send an email. You can make someones day by just writing them a short handwritten note.

The reason that I wrote all of this was simply to encourage you. Whoever is reading this, wherever you are, remember that you can be a light who can brighten someones life. Other people are not just there to help you, you are also there to help others. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't lean on your friends and let them help you, not in the slightest is that what it means. All I am saying is that you should also encourage your friends when they need you, and let them help you when you need help. We all need a helping hand now and then.

Here is a song that has been very encouraging to me. Music is one of my friends that I tend to get a lot of encouragment from. The first one is Vanilla Twilight by Owl City. This song is about missing a dear person. It doesn't specify friend or lover, but personally I think it can be either, whichever you want it to be. I simply love it, and I listen to it several times a day.

Dear readers, if you need encouragment, then come back to my blog once a week. Every week, for the next few weeks, on Thursday, I am going to post a bit of encouragement. Each week will be a different topic, but they are all subjects that have been on my heart.

Till next week,

Sarah







No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Best friends - and some thoughts on them

Have you ever had a best friend? You know, that person that understands you, laughs with you, knows your secrets, and your dreams? If you ha...